The Salvation Army first offered services in Fernie in August 1898, conducted by Capt. Lacey and his wife. The first church was a wood building on 502 2nd Ave. The first official service was conducted on November 1, 1900 overseen by Capt. Jackson and his wife. In 1904, William Eschwig of the Northern Hotel made a trade in which he secured The Salvation Army 260 5th Street in exchange for the 2nd Avenue location. However, the original building was lost in 1908 during the Great Fire. After the Great Fire of 1908, a church was constructed with high quality yellow and pink brick at 260 5th Street. This building was to service The Salvation Army until 2001, this building remains the smallest of Fernie’s historic church buildings, being an excellent example of Mission style architecture. On September 8, 2002 the new Salvation Army building was dedicated. Located at 741 2nd Ave, it contains the Chapel, Administration Office, Community Family Services, and the Thrift Store all under one roof.
The Salvation Army has been serving the community for generations, whether it be providing Christmas hampers and toys, or providing support when disaster strikes like in the mining accident of 1967.