Opening in 1900, The Salvation Army Fernie provides a safe haven and opportunities for healing for all in our community through compassion, faith, and the love of Jesus Christ. We exist to support individuals and families in our community who are struggling with poverty, addictions, mental illness, hunger, and housing.
The Salvation Army first offered services in Fernie in August 1898, conducted by Capt. Lacey and his wife. The first church was a wood building on 502 2nd Ave. The first official service was conducted on November 1, 1900 overseen by Capt. Jackson and his wife. In 1904, William Eschwig of the Northern Hotel made a trade in which he secured The Salvation Army 260 5th Street in exchange for the 2nd Avenue location. However, the original building was lost in 1908 during the Great Fire. After the Great Fire of 1908, a church was constructed with high quality yellow and pink brick at 260 5th Street. This building was to service The Salvation Army until 2001, this building remains the smallest of Fernie’s historic church buildings, being an excellent example of Mission style architecture. On September 8, 2002 the new Salvation Army building was dedicated. Located at 741 2nd Ave, it contains the Chapel, Administration Office, Community Family Services, and the Thrift Store all under one roof.